Unforgettable Adventure: Cusco to Quiswarniyoc, Salkantay Pass, and Chawllay Camp
Begin Your Journey with an Early Start in Cusco: Transfer to Soraypampa and Embark on the Salkantay Trek
Start your adventure early with a 2:00 am pick-up from your hotel in Cusco, followed by a 3-hour transfer to Soraypampa, the starting point of your memorable hike.
Upon arriving at Soraypampa, join your Salkantay trek group for a hearty breakfast before preparing for your 20-kilometer hike. At around 6:30 am, commence your ascent to the highest point of the entire Salkantay trail, standing at 4,630 meters above sea level.
After approximately 3 hours of hiking, celebrate reaching the summit and revel in the stunning views of Salkantay mountain. Take a moment to make an offering to the Apus (Andean gods) in appreciation of their guidance.
Begin your descent, covering a total of 15 kilometers downhill to reach an elevation of 2,900 meters. This downhill trek is divided into two sections. The first segment, from the summit to the lunch point, takes about 2 hours. After a well-deserved lunch break, continue for another 3 hours to your second camp at Chawllay.
Throughout your trek, marvel at the diverse landscapes – from glacier-capped mountains and lagoons to rocky hills and verdant grasslands. As you approach the camp, immerse yourself in the lush, jungle environment.
Once you arrive at Chawllay, take the time to relax and, if you desire, enjoy a cold beer while the cooks prepare a comforting tea time and a scrumptious dinner to refuel for the next day’s adventure.
- Covering a Distance: of 25 km – Approximately 9 Hours of Hiking
- Campsite Altitude: Situated at an elevation of 2,900 meters above sea level
- Notable Achievement: Conquering the highest point of the trek at 4,650 meters above sea level
- Weather Conditions: Warm and windy during the day, with colder temperatures at night
- Accommodations: Experience a cozy stay in the Mountain Sky Huts
- Meals Provided: Savor a delicious selection of meals, including breakfast, lunch, tea time, and dinner
Discover the Beauty of the Journey: Chaullay to Santa Teresa, Hidroelectrica, and Aguas Calientes
Embrace the Jungle on Day Two: From Santa Teresa Valley to Aguas Calientes
On the second day, find yourself immersed in the lush jungle environment. Begin your morning with a gentle wake-up call around 6:00 am, accompanied by a cup of invigorating coca tea. Savor a delicious breakfast to fuel up for the day ahead.
At 7:00 am, commence your hike to La Playa Sahuayaco, a journey that takes approximately 5 hours. Traverse the picturesque Santa Teresa Valley, shaped by the winding Salkantay River. As you explore the valley, discover an array of plantations, including coffee, bananas, avocados, coca, and passion fruit, among others.
After your 5-hour hike, arrive at La Playa Sahuayaco and take local transportation for a one-hour ride to Santa Teresa. Enjoy a well-earned lunch break before continuing by car for another 45 minutes to Hidroelectrica. From there, embark on a leisurely 3-hour walk along the train tracks, heading towards the charming town of Aguas Calientes.
Upon arrival in Aguas Calientes, check into your hotel for a refreshing shower and some relaxation. In the evening, gather around 7:00 pm for a delightful dinner at a local restaurant. Afterward, head back to your hotel for a good night’s sleep, preparing for the next day’s adventure.
- Covering a Distance: of 25 km – Approximately 8 Hours of Hiking
- Lodging Altitude: Situated at an elevation of 2,000 meters above sea level
- Considerations: Prepare for a long and challenging day of trekking
- Weather Conditions: Warm, hot, and tropical climate
- Accommodations: Enjoy a comfortable stay at a hotel
- Meals Provided: Indulge in a variety of meals, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Machu Picchu - Cusco
MACHU PICCHU DAY:
- Arriving at Machu Picchu’s Main Gate from Aguas Calientes: To reach Machu Picchu’s main gate from Aguas Calientes, you have two options. You can either embark on a scenic 1.5-hour hike or take a convenient bus ride that costs $12. The choice is yours, and you can even decide on the same day you plan to visit Machu Picchu. Regardless of the option you choose, your day will begin bright and early at 4 am with a delicious breakfast at your hotel in Aguas Calientes.
- If you choose to WALK from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu, your journey will begin at around 4:30 am. You’ll start by walking from your hotel in Aguas Calientes to Puente Ruinas, which takes approximately 30 minutes. Puente Ruinas serves as the first checkpoint, where you’ll need to present your Machu Picchu tickets and original passports to gain entry. Once you’ve passed the Puente Ruinas checkpoint, you’ll embark on an uphill hike to Machu Picchu, climbing approximately 1,700 steps. This ascent typically takes between one hour to one hour and 20 minutes. Upon reaching the main gate of Machu Picchu, you’ll meet up with your group and guide to enter the site and begin your unforgettable exploration of this ancient Inca citadel.
- If you opt to take the BUS from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu, you’ll need to purchase a bus ticket in town, either the night before or on the same morning. Each one-way bus ticket costs $12. Once you have your ticket, join the queue to board the first buses, which depart from Aguas Calientes at 5:30 am. The bus ride takes approximately 30 minutes to reach Machu Picchu. Upon arrival at Machu Picchu, you’ll meet up with your group and guide around 6 am to enter the site and begin exploring the remarkable ancient Inca city together.
MACHU PICCHU GUIDED TOUR:
- Our program includes a Machu Picchu ticket, with the primary circuit options being either circuit 01 or 02. CHECH DETAILS: https://www.machupicchureservations.org/destination/machu-picchu-circuits If there is no availability for the first choice, we will include circuit 03 or 04. Ticket availability depends on the time of booking, so if you prefer the primary circuit options, we recommend booking well in advance. For more information about the different circuits and ticket details, please visit our website or contact us directly. Upon arrival at Machu Picchu, our experienced tour guide will lead you on a 2.5-hour guided exploration of the Inca city, following the circuit outlined in your ticket. The guide will share insights about the history and significance of Machu Picchu while allowing time for photographs and taking in the breathtaking views. You’ll visit the most iconic locations within the site during the tour.
- At the conclusion of the guided tour, you will have some leisure time to explore and relax on your own. If you have arranged to hike Huayna Picchu (which must be booked ahead of time, as it is a popular option that sells out quickly and costs $60 per person), your guide will direct you to the starting point. The hike will take no more than 2 hours to complete, with a round-trip time.
- Alternatively, you may choose to hike Machu Picchu Mountain instead of Huayna Picchu. This hike is more challenging and takes a minimum of three hours for the round-trip (at an additional cost of $60 per person).
- For those considering either of the mountain climbs, we recommend opting for the train return to Cusco to allow more time to explore the mountains. If you prefer to return by car, we suggest spending an additional night in Aguas Calientes and departing by car on the sixth day from the Hydroelectric station. This will give you ample time to fully experience the beauty of the mountains and make the most of your journey.
After immersing yourself in the wonders of Machu Picchu and exploring its surroundings, it’s time to make your way back to Cusco. We offer two convenient options for your return journey: by car or by train. Both options ensure a smooth and comfortable trip to Cusco.
- If you choose to return BY CAR, you will need to begin your walk from Machu Picchu to Hidroelectrica around 10:30 am. This trek typically takes 3 to 3.5 hours to complete. It is essential to reach Hidroelectrica by 2:00 pm in order to board the car, which is scheduled to depart at 2:30 pm. The car journey from Hidroelectrica to Cusco takes approximately 6 hours, and you can expect to arrive in Cusco around 9:30 pm. Upon arrival, you will be dropped off in the city center of Cusco.
- If you opt to return BY TRAIN to Cusco after visiting Machu Picchu, you have two options for getting to the town of Aguas Calientes. You can either walk down for 1.5 hours, or take a bus that takes just 30 minutes but costs 12 dollars. Once you arrive in Aguas Calientes, you’ll have time to explore the town and have lunch before returning to your hotel to gather your belongings and head to the train station. The train to Ollantaytambo is available at either 2:30 pm or 2:55 pm, depending on availability, and the journey takes 1.5 hours, offering stunning views of the surrounding landscapes. Upon arrival in Ollantaytambo, a transfer arranged by Machu Picchu Reservations or with your name on it will be waiting to take you back to Cusco, a 2-hour journey, arriving around 6:30 pm and dropping you off in the city center.
Salkantay Trek 3 days Inclusions
- Attend a Salkantay trek briefing at 7:00 pm the day before departure at the Machu Picchu Reservations office
- Receive a duffle bag to pack 7 kilos of your belongings, which will be carried by horses during the trek
- Benefit from the guidance of professional English/Spanish-speaking tour guides
- Enjoy meals prepared by a professional chef and the use of high-quality cooking equipment
- Take advantage of horses to carry up to 7 kilos of personal luggage and other required gear
- Enjoy pick-up service from your hotel in Cusco
- Travel in private transportation to the head of the Salkantay trail
- Relish 3 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners provided throughout the trek
- Experience 1 night of camping and 1 night at a hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Unwind in Mountain Sky Huts featuring thick mattresses, glass doors, night lighting, and panoramic views for the first night
- Rest on a personal double foam pad (2.5 inches thick)
- Sleep comfortably with pillows provided at the first camp
- Utilize transportation from La Playa to Hidroelectrica
- Entrance to Machu Picchu included
- Enjoy a guided tour of Machu Picchu
- Travel back from Aguas Calientes to Cusco by train or car, depending on your preference
- Savor vegetarian/vegan meal options upon request with no additional charges
- Stay prepared with first-aid equipment and an oxygen bottle for emergencies
- Entrance Fee for The Salkantay Trek: The local government of Mollepata charges a fee of 20 soles for access to Salkantay trail.
- Sleeping Bags: If you do not have a sleeping bag, you can rent one from us for $10 USD, which covers the entire duration of the trek.
- Travel Insurance: Please note that travel insurance is not included and is recommended to cover any unforeseen circumstances during your trip.
- Extra Expenses: Any additional expenses incurred during the trek, such as snacks, drinking water or souvenirs, are not included in the package.
- Tips: Gratuities for the trek staff are not included and are left to your discretion, depending on the level of service you feel was provided.
What to Pack
Salkantay Trek 3-Day Essentials
For the 3-day Salkantay trek, you’ll need personal trekking gear and a sleeping bag. If you don’t have a sleeping bag, you can rent one from us, as well as trekking poles if desired. We provide the rest of the necessary equipment.
Personal Trekking Gear to Pack:
- A small 20 to 30-liter backpack to carry daily essentials, or any daypack you’re comfortable with
- Wool hat or beanie
- Sun hat
- A pair of gloves
- 2 to 3 T-shirts (preferably with long sleeves)
- 2 layers (sweater, fleece)
- 2 pairs of long pants or leggings
- Comfortable hiking shoes
- 2 pairs of wool socks
- A small headlamp
- Sandals or flip-flops
- A small towel
- Insect repellent
- Toothbrush and other personal toiletries
- Toilet paper
- Water bottle
- Rain gear (pants, jacket, or rain poncho) – crucial, especially during the wet season
- Optional: thermal clothing for the first night at 4,100 meters
- Snacks (chocolate, cereal bars, candies, nuts, energy bars, etc.)
- Extra cash in Soles
Essential Documents for the Trek:
- Original passport
- Physical original student card (if you applied for the student discount)
Note: Machu Picchu Reservations provides a duffle bag in which you can pack up to 7 kilos of personal belongings. These will be carried by horses during the trek. You’ll carry your small backpack with daily essentials while trekking, and you’ll have access to your duffle bag at each campsite.
Salkantay Trek 3-Day Group Service – Season 2023
We offer two pricing options for the 3-day, 2-night Salkantay Trek, which vary depending on your preferred method of returning to Cusco after visiting Machu Picchu.
Salkantay Trek 3 Days with Return by Car:
- Student: $239 USD
- Adult: $259 USD
Salkantay Trek 3 Days with Return by Train:
- Student: $299 USD
- Adult: $319 USD
Additional Options to Enhance Your Salkantay Experience:
- Huayna Picchu Mountain: Add $60 USD (Check availability at https://machupicchu.gob.pe/)
- Machu Picchu Mountain: Add $60 USD (Check availability at https://machupicchu.gob.pe/)
- Rent a Sleeping Bag for the Entire Trek: Add $10 USD
- Rent Trekking Poles (one pair) for the Entire Trek: Add $10 USD
- Upgrade to Vistadome – Panoramic Train: Add $35 USD (Available if you choose the return by train option)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE STUDENT PRICE:
The student price is available for all students around the world, provided that they meet the requirements set by the Peruvian government. This discount is applicable when purchasing Machu Picchu tickets from the Peruvian government.
TO QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT PRICE, YOU MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
Your student ID must be an original ID issued by your university, made of PVC material.
The student ID must have the following information printed on it.
- University information.
- Student name.
- Student picture.
- The student ID must have a valid expiration date printed on it, which is only valid for one year. For instance, if you visit Machu Picchu in 2023, the expiration date on your ID must be 2023 or 2024. If you visit Machu Picchu in 2023, the maximum expiration date allowed is 2024.
- The student discount is available only for students who are not more than 25 years old.
- The International Student Identification Card (ISIC) is not valid for the discount, even if it meets the requirements mentioned above.
- The only valid document for the student price is the original student ID that meets the requirements set by the Peruvian government. No other documents such as certifications or virtual cards are accepted as proof of student status.
- To apply for the student price, send us a photo of both sides of your student ID to email@example.com when you book the tour. If you send it later, you will not be eligible for the student discount.
How to Book with Machu Picchu Reservation
TO BOOK THE SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 3 DAYS, FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:
- Choose a reputable, government-authorized tour operator.
- Click the “Book Online” button, select the date, and complete the booking form. Have one person fill it out for the entire group to ensure you’re booked together. Keep your passport handy for accurate information.
- Make a payment online using any debit or credit card. There’s a 2.9% fee for online payments, which customers must cover.
- To secure your THE SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 3 DAYS, provide a $180 deposit per person. This helps obtain necessary permits and tickets from the Peruvian government.
- Optionally, you can pay the full tour amount upfront to avoid any future payment concerns.
- If you choose to pay only the deposit, the remaining balance is due 24 hours before the tour begins. You can pay in cash (soles or dollars) at the office in Cusco or by card (3.9% fee). You can also pay the balance online with any card (2.9% fee).
By following these straightforward steps, you can easily book your THE SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 3 DAYS experience and focus on preparing for your adventure.
Payment: You can pay for THE SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 3 DAYS online using any debit or credit card. A 2.9% fee applies to online payments, which customers must cover. To book THE SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 3 DAYS, a $180 deposit per person is required to secure permits and tickets from the Peruvian government. You can choose to pay the full tour amount upfront to avoid future payment concerns. If you pay only the deposit, the remaining balance is due 24 hours before the tour starts. Pay the balance in cash (soles or dollars) at our office in Cusco, or by card with a 3.9% fee. You can also pay online using any card with a 2.9% fee.
Passport Requirements: Ensure your passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond your planned entry date to Peru. If it’s set to expire within 6 months, renew it before traveling. If your passport expires within 6 months but you want to secure THE SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 3 DAYS and Machu Picchu tickets, book the tour and update your passport details with us after renewal. Failure to do so may result in permit and ticket forfeiture.
Travel Insurance: We strongly recommend purchasing travel insurance to protect your investment. Obtain insurance before departing and consider working with a reputable agency for affordable coverage.
Deposit: The $180 deposit per person for the THE SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 3 DAYS tour is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Remaining Balance: If you only pay the deposit, the balance is due 24 hours before the tour starts. Pay in cash (soles or dollars) at our office in Cusco or by card with a 3.9% fee. You can also pay online with any card and a 2.9% fee.
Student Discount: If your student card meets Peruvian government requirements, reserve the tour with a deposit and pay the remaining balance upon arrival in Cusco. The student discount will be applied at that time.
- Physical Fitness: The Salkantay Trek is a challenging trek that involves long hours of hiking and navigating varying terrains. Prioritize your physical fitness by engaging in regular exercise and cardio activities before your trip. Strengthen your legs, improve your endurance, and be prepared for the demanding nature of the trek.
- Altitude Acclimatization: The trek reaches high altitudes, and acclimatization is crucial to avoid altitude sickness. Spend a few days in Cusco or a nearby location before the trek to adapt to the altitude. Stay hydrated, avoid strenuous activities, and listen to your body throughout the journey.
- Packing Essentials: Pack light but ensure you have all the necessary essentials. Include sturdy hiking boots, comfortable clothing, layers for changing weather conditions, a waterproof jacket, a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, insect repellent, a refillable water bottle, and a headlamp. Don’t forget to bring personal toiletries and a first aid kit.
- Proper Gear: Invest in quality trekking gear to enhance your comfort during the journey. A good backpack, trekking poles, and a durable sleeping bag are essential items. Consider bringing a comfortable sleeping mat for a restful night’s sleep.
- Stay Hydrated and Nourished: Hydration is vital during the trek. Carry a water bottle and drink plenty of water throughout the day. Bring energizing snacks like nuts, granola bars, and dried fruits to fuel your body during the hike. A balanced diet is essential to sustain your energy levels.
- Follow the Guidance of Your Guide: Your trekking guide is an invaluable resource throughout the journey. Listen to their instructions, follow their advice on pacing yourself, and take advantage of their knowledge about the region’s flora, fauna, and cultural heritage. They will ensure your safety and enhance your experience.
- Respect Nature and Culture: The Salkantay region is a pristine natural and cultural environment. Respect the surroundings by practicing responsible tourism. Leave no trace behind, dispose of waste properly, and be mindful of local customs and traditions. Interact with local communities respectfully, embracing their rich culture.
- Capture the Moments: Bring a camera or a smartphone to capture the breathtaking landscapes and memorable moments. However, also take the time to immerse yourself fully in the experience. Disconnect from technology and embrace the beauty of nature.
- Embrace the Journey: The Salkantay Trek is not just about reaching the destination; it’s about the entire journey. Embrace the challenges, immerse yourself in the stunning vistas, connect with fellow trekkers, and savor the sense of accomplishment with each step. Take time to reflect, appreciate, and create lasting memories.
Why Choose Machupicchu Reservations
we offer all the tours for guests to enjoy the outdoors, we offer Salkantay trek, Inca trail, Machu Picchu tours, we offer day hiking trips, such as Rainbow Mountain Hike, Incas Sacred Valley, Humantay Lake other alternative trekking tours like Inca jungle trail, Choquequirao trek, we offer guiding and supported trips, we offer glass igloos-based tours and camping-based tours.
Machu Picchu Reservations tours are all-inclusive and expert-led, our guests got to show up and focus 100% on the trip experience you do not have to worry about planning, packing, permits, tickets, or any of the headache stuff.
To people who love travel and hiking Machu Picchu Reservations literally has something for everyone we operated all the tours in Cusco with exceptional and personalized service this makes us one of the best-rated companies in the city of Cusco with 5 stars on TripAdvisor, Google, and other social networks.
MACHU PICCHU TOUR BY CAR 2D – 1N
Machu Picchu tour by car 2 days on an economical 2-day car tour, featuring comfortable Mercedes Benz minibuses and profe
Huchuy Qosqo Trek 2 Days
Huchuyqosqo is an Inca settlement that is located in the upper part of the sacred valley of the Incas. The place is cons
PALCOYO DAY HIKE EXPERINCE
Palcoyo Day Hike Experience is a scenic Adventure Through a Trio of Rainbow Mountains, embark on an unforgettable journe
Humantay Lake With Salkantay Pass Trek
Salkantay hike 2 days, exploring the mesmerizing landscape surrounding Cusco’s second-highest peak in Peru, at an
TAMBOPATA NATIONAL RESERVE 3D – 2N TOUR
Embark on an extraordinary adventure with our Tours Puerto Maldonado Full Sandoval Lake 3D/2N package. Your journey begi
MACHU PICCHU TOUR BY CAR AND BY TRAIN 2D – 1N
Machu Picchu tour by car and by train 2 days combined Car and Train Expedition, showcasing the awe-inspiring beauty and