Itinerary: Machu Picchu by Car - Scenic Drive and Trek to Aguas Calientes
Experience the stunning landscapes on Day 1 of our Machu Picchu by car tour, featuring a scenic drive to Hidroelectrica, a delicious local lunch in Hidroelectrica, and a 3-hour trek to Aguas Calientes.
On Day 1 of our Machu Picchu by car tour, we’ll start the tour at Machu Picchu Reservations Office at 6:30 am in Cusco for a scenic 6-hour drive to Hidroelectrica. Along the way, we’ll stop in Hidroelectrica for a delicious lunch. After lunch, continue the 3 hours trek to Aguas Calientes.
Prepare yourself for a picturesque 3-hour, 11 km trek along the flat terrain to the base town of Machu Picchu. Upon arrival in Aguas Calientes, we’ll take you to your hotel, where you can freshen up and relax. In the evening, enjoy a scrumptious dinner in the town and get ready for an exciting day ahead exploring Machu Picchu.
- Driving Time: Approximately 5-6 hours from Cusco to Hidroelectrica
- Walking Distance: 11 km / 3-3.5 hours from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes
- Weather: Warm, windy, and tropical
- Accommodations: Hotel stay in Aguas Calientes
- Meals inluded: Lunch in Hidroelectrica / Dinner in Aguas Calientes
Itinerary: Machu Picchu by Car - Exploring the Inca Citadel and Surroundings
On Day 2 of our Machu Picchu by car tour, choose between walking or taking a bus to the citadel. Experience a guided tour, free exploration time.
On Day 2 of our 2-day Machu Picchu by car tour, you have the option to walk or take a bus to the citadel. If you choose to take the bus, you’ll need to purchase a ticket in Aguas Calientes for $12. Those who prefer to walk should start their ascent at 4:30 AM after breakfast to reach the main entrance by 6 AM.
Regardless of your chosen mode of transportation, the meeting point will be at the main entrance of Machu Picchu at 6 AM. Your guide will lead you on a tour through the Inca site, sharing the history and stories behind this iconic location. After the guided tour, you’ll have free time to explore the area on your own.
After visiting Machu Picchu, begin your return journey to Cusco by starting the trek from the citadel back to Hidroelectrica at around 10:00 AM. The trek will take approximately 3.5 hours, allowing you to reach Hidroelectrica in time to board the car for Cusco between 2:00 and 2:30 PM.
The drive from Hidroelectrica to Cusco will take around 6 hours, during which you can relax and reflect on your incredible Machu Picchu experience. Upon arrival in Cusco, you’ll have completed your memorable 2-day Machu Picchu by car tour.
- Walking Distance: 4 km / 1.5 to 2 hours from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Machu Picchu: Ticket and guided tour included
- Walking Distance: 11 km / 3.5 hours from Machu Picchu to Hidroelectrica
- Weather: Warm, windy, and tropical
- Meals: Breakfast provided in the hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Departure from Hidroelectrica: 2:00 PM boarding time – 2:30 pm departure time
- Driving Time: Approximately 6 to 7 hours from Hidroelectrica to Cusco
Inclusions for the 2-Day Machu Picchu Tour by Car
Discover what’s included in our 2-day Machu Picchu tour by car, featuring round-trip transportation, meals, accommodations, entrance fees, and a professional guide for the iconic Inca citadel.
Included in the 2-Day Machu Picchu Tour by Car:
- Round-trip transportation between Cusco and Hidroelectrica
- 1 lunch, 1 dinner, and 1 breakfast
- 1-night accommodation at a hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- Professional guide for the Machu Picchu tour
Our 2-day Machu Picchu tour by car provides a comprehensive experience, complete with comfortable round-trip transportation, delicious meals, cozy accommodation in Aguas Calientes, and entrance to the iconic Inca citadel.
- NOTE IMPORTANT: The round-trip trek between Hidroelectrica and Aguas Calientes does not include a guide, nor is one provided for the hike between Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu. However, we will ensure that you receive detailed information, including hotel addresses. Many people choose these routes as they serve as the second gateway to Machu Picchu. Rest assured, hiking through these canyons of Machu Picchu is both easy and safe.
What to Pack
A 2-day Machu Picchu tour by car requires a simple yet well-thought-out packing list to ensure you have a comfortable and enjoyable experience. Here’s a basic packing list to get you started:
- Small backpack or daypack
- Cash (in local currency)
- Original Passport
- Original student card in case you applied for the student discount
- Water bottle or hydration bladder (at least 1-2 liters)
- Snacks (energy bars, nuts, dried fruit, etc.)
- Smartphone or camera (with chargers or extra batteries)
- Light, breathable, quick-dry layers (t-shirts, long-sleeve shirts)
- A light jacket or fleece for cooler temperatures
- Comfortable pants or shorts
- Waterproof jacket or poncho (in case of rain)
- Underwear and socks (preferably moisture-wicking)
- Sturdy, comfortable, and broken-in hiking shoes or sneakers
- Hat or cap for sun protection
- Sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher)
- Insect repellent
- Wet wipes or baby wipes
- Small towel
- Personal medications and a basic first-aid kit (band-aids, pain relievers, etc.)
- Hotel or accommodation reservation details
Remember to pack as light as possible, while still having essentials to keep you comfortable and prepared for your adventure. Always check the weather forecast before your trip and adjust your packing list accordingly.
The fixed prices for the Machu Picchu tour by bus for a 2-day, 1-night itinerary in the 2023 season are as follows:
Student: 100 US Dollars
Adult: 120 US Dollars
These prices are for a group service, which means you will join other travelers on the tour.
Additional activities like hiking Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain. These hikes require separate entrance tickets and are subject to availability, so it’s best to book in advance.
Also, if you would like to climb one of the mountains, it is better to spend an extra night in Aguas Calientes. This will give you more time to explore Machu Picchu and complete the additional hikes without feeling rushed. Staying an extra night also allows for a more relaxed experience and time to enjoy the town and its surroundings.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE STUDENT PRICE:
The student price is available for all students around the world, provided that they meet the requirements set by the Peruvian government. This discount is applicable when purchasing Machu Picchu tickets from the Peruvian government.
TO QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT PRICE, YOU MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
Your student ID must be an original ID issued by your university, made of PVC material.
The student ID must have the following information printed on it.
- University information.
- Student name.
- Student picture.
- The student ID must have a valid expiration date printed on it, which is only valid for one year. For instance, if you visit Machu Picchu in 2023, the expiration date on your ID must be 2023 or 2024. If you visit Machu Picchu in 2023, the maximum expiration date allowed is 2024.
- The student discount is available only for students who are not more than 25 years old.
- The International Student Identification Card (ISIC) is not valid for the discount, even if it meets the requirements mentioned above.
- The only valid document for the student price is the original student ID that meets the requirements set by the Peruvian government. No other documents such as certifications or virtual cards are accepted as proof of student status.
- To apply for the student price, send us a photo of both sides of your student ID to email@example.com when you book the tour. If you send it later, you will not be eligible for the student discount.
How to Book with Machu Picchu Reservation
TO BOOK THE MACHU PICCHU TOUR BY CAR, FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:
- Choose a reputable, government-authorized tour operator.
- Click the “Book Online” button, select the date, and complete the booking form. Have one person fill it out for the entire group to ensure you’re booked together. Keep your passport handy for accurate information.
- Make a payment online using any debit or credit card. There’s a 2.9% fee for online payments, which customers must cover.
- To secure your Machu Picchu tour by car 2 days, provide a $70 deposit per person. This helps obtain necessary permits and tickets from the Peruvian government.
- Optionally, you can pay the full tour amount upfront to avoid any future payment concerns.
- If you choose to pay only the deposit, the remaining balance is due 24 hours before the tour begins. You can pay in cash (soles or dollars) at the office in Cusco or by card (3.9% fee). You can also pay the balance online with any card (2.9% fee).
By following these straightforward steps, you can easily book your Machu Picchu tour by car 2 days experience and focus on preparing for your adventure.
Payment: You can pay for the 2-day Machu Picchu tour by car online using any debit or credit card. A 2.9% fee applies to online payments, which customers must cover. To book Machu Picchu tour By car, a $70 deposit per person is required to secure permits and tickets from the Peruvian government. You can choose to pay the full tour amount upfront to avoid future payment concerns. If you pay only the deposit, the remaining balance is due 24 hours before the tour starts. Pay the balance in cash (soles or dollars) at our office in Cusco, or by card with a 3.9% fee. You can also pay online using any card with a 2.9% fee.
Passport Requirements: Ensure your passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond your planned entry date to Peru. If it’s set to expire within 6 months, renew it before traveling. If your passport expires within 6 months but you want to secure your Machu Picchu tickets, book the tour and update your passport details with us after renewal. Failure to do so may result in permit and ticket forfeiture.
Travel Insurance: We strongly recommend purchasing travel insurance to protect your investment. Obtain insurance before departing and consider working with a reputable agency for affordable coverage.
Deposit: The $70 deposit per person for the 2-day Machu Picchu tour by car is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Remaining Balance: If you only pay the deposit, the balance is due 24 hours before the tour starts. Pay in cash (soles or dollars) at our office in Cusco or by card with a 3.9% fee. You can also pay online with any card and a 2.9% fee.
Student Discount: If your student card meets Peruvian government requirements, reserve the tour with a deposit and pay the remaining balance upon arrival in Cusco. The student discount will be applied at that time.
Frequently Asked Questions MACHU PICCHU TOUR BY CAR 2D – 1N
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the 2-day Machu Picchu tour by car:
- How does the 2-day tour by car itinerary typically look like?
Day 1: The tour generally starts from Cusco. You’ll be picked up by a car or minivan and driven to Hidroelectrica, passing through the Sacred Valley and small towns along the way. From Hidroelectrica, you’ll embark on a 3-4 hour trek to Aguas Calientes, the town at the base of Machu Picchu. You’ll spend the night in a hotel or hostel.
Day 2: You’ll wake up early and either hike or take the bus or walk to Machu Picchu. After exploring the ancient Inca citadel with a guided tour, you’ll, trek back to Hidroelectrica, and then take the car back to Cusco.
- What’s included in the 2-day tour package?
The package includes round-trip transportation from Cusco to Hidroelectrica, accommodation in Aguas Calientes, guided tour of Machu Picchu, and some meals. However, details in the inclusion section.
- Are there any physical requirements?
The tour involves a 2-3 hour trek from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes and potentially a 1.5-2 hour hike to Machu Picchu. Participants should be in good physical condition and comfortable with walking long distances.
- What should I bring on the tour?
Pack essentials like your passport, comfortable hiking shoes, a hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, a reusable water bottle, rain gear, and a small backpack to carry personal items during the trek. It’s also a good idea to bring extra cash for meals and souvenirs.
- Can I add on other activities to the tour?
Many tour operators offer additional activities like hiking Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain. These hikes require separate entrance tickets and are subject to availability, so it’s best to book in advance.Also, if you would like to climb one of the mountains, it is better to spend an extra night in Aguas Calientes. This will give you more time to explore Machu Picchu and complete the additional hikes without feeling rushed. Staying an extra night also allows for a more relaxed experience and time to enjoy the town and its surroundings.
Remember to check with your specific tour operator for the most accurate and up-to-date information on their 2-day Machu Picchu tour by car offerings.
Montaña colores or Rainbow Mountain 2 days hike is a better options for people who like to enjoy the surrounding area o
Cusco City Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu 3 days tour is our exclusive 3-day private tour. Our expertly crafted itinerar
CAMINATA LLACTAPATA A MACHU PICCHU 3D-2N: Llactapata Trek es uno de los aspectos más destacados de Salkantay Trek y un
La mayoría de las caminatas que terminan en aguas calientes se llenan de gente, especialmente en la temporada alta, por
Cusco South Valley Tour immerse yourself in the breathtaking landscapes and extraordinary archaeological sites of the So
Inca Trail short 2 days to Machu Picchu is a relatively short but challenging trek that offers stunning views of the And